I stumbled upon podcasts last year when I was doing a lot of travelling to Sydney for work. They turned out to be a great way to make a 4 hour round trip go very quickly! I’m not doing as much travelling these days – and with a 4 year old co-passenger I’m more likely singing along to Elsa or Justine Clarke – but I still try to listen to some of my faves when I have the chance.
- Chat 10 Looks 3 – this is the podcast that started it all for me. Two of my favourite Aussie journo’s Annabel Crabb and Leigh Sales talking about books, TV, movies, politics, cooking and any other topic they can think of really. It’s unscripted, often extremely funny and you always end up with a ton of recommendations to add to your reading or watching lists. Highly recommended!
- Conversations with Richard Fidler – Another podcast that has me hooked. Richard Fidler has my dream job – talking with a different interesting person every day and getting paid for it! Even if I think the person he is interviewing isn’t of much interest to me I always enjoy his discussions and insights.
- Modern Love – I started listening to this one recently on the advice of my friend and it has very quickly become a favourite. The first episode I heard was the bonus Emmy Edition episode and it had me in tears driving down the highway!
- The New York Times Book Review Podcast – This satisfies the bibliophile in me. Although obviously quite American in its focus I’ve still heard a lot of great reviews about books I have then added to my reading list.
- The West Wing Weekly – I am so far behind with this one but I promise myself I will find time to catch up soon! As the name suggests this podcast is reviewing an episode of the TV show The West Wing week by week. They often have actors, writers and directors from the show on providing their insights and if you love this show (as I do!) it is a great way to relive the glory that was The West Wing!
- All in the Mind – a fantastic Australian podcast looking at all things psychology, mental health, brain and behaviour – interesting and informative all in one!
- Magic Lessons – Best selling author, Elizabeth Gilbert, interviews different writers, artists, musicians and other creative individuals about their work and inspirations. Gilbert is a fantastic interviewer and like Richard Fidler, even if I am not particularly interested in the person she is talking with I always take something away from their discussions.
- Phoebe’s Fall – I have only just come across this one but I’m sure it is going to be a favourite. I would think that all fans of the Serial podcast would enjoy this one too – a week by week investigation of the 2010 death of Melbourne woman Phoebe Handsjuk.
- The Full Catastrophe – I have only listened to the episode with Annabel Crabb so far but if that is anything to go by there will be a laugh a minute with this one!
- Earshot – Another ABC podcast – similar to Conversations in a lot of ways but covering broader topic areas in a shorter time frame – great for when you only have half an hour or less to listen.
How about you? Any others you think I should add to my list?