Word

Mindful Photo

It’s taken me a little while to get into the swing of things but I finally feel as though 2015 is kicking off. I’ve returned to work this week, Sweet Pea is back at day care, the calendar is getting filled in and plans are being made.

One thing that I have done for the past few years after being prompted by the wonderful and insightful Susannah Conway is to choose a word that gives me a focus point for the year ahead. The word for 2014 was “surrender” and I’m not sure that I completely pulled it off – but it did give me some thinking points!

This year I have chosen the word “mindful”. Being mindful and mindfulness is a skill and technique I teach and use a lot in my work as a mental health social worker but it is not something I am very good at practising myself. The thought of meditation makes me groan inwardly. I’m always thinking ahead, planning, rushing – basically not focusing on and enjoying the moment I’m actually in. It leaves me feeling breathless, exhausted, anxious and stressed. It makes me eat more than I should and more of what I shouldn’t be eating. It makes me snappy at times, angry and frustrated. It makes me miss moments with my daughter and others which I should be capturing and holding on to. It’s not good and it needs to stop. And so – mindful…

I’ve purchased the Smiling Mind app and have already done my first meditation/mindfulness exercise (2 minutes but hey it’s a start!). I also bought this gorgeous tool from Kikki K and this book the other day – it looks beautiful and practical – a favourite combination of mine! So, I’ve got some resources to help me get started focusing on being mindful – I’ll keep you updated on my progress…

There have been some wonderful posts by other bloggers talking about their words and plans for 2015. Some of my favourites are this one by Jess and this one by Tamara. Maxabella Loves has also put together a fantastic linky post about word choices for 2015 here.

How about you? Do you have a word/intention/plan/goal/dream for 2015?

12 Comments on Word

1. Jenni Rose
    January 14, 2015 at 11:22 pm (2 years ago)

Loving that word for the year ‘Mindful’. I sometimes find I need to change my word throughout the year but for right now at least my word is TRUST. Maybe a little like your surrender of last year I am wanting to have trust in myself and the universe right now x

January 26, 2015 at 12:08 pm (2 years ago)

Hi Jenni Rose – I hadn’t thought of needing to change my word half way through the year before – thanks for the tip!

2. Chloe
    January 15, 2015 at 3:20 pm (2 years ago)

Mindful is such a beautiful guiding word and I love what it means for you. My word for 2015 is Devotion. Wishing you all the best for an amazing year ahead.

January 26, 2015 at 12:09 pm (2 years ago)

Hi Chloe – devotion sounds like a big word to me – how are you going with it so far??

3. Kris
    January 16, 2015 at 9:22 am (2 years ago)

Good on you for putting the effort in, it’s so worth it, right? My word this year is abundance. Love Susannah Conway’s work, it’s really set me up nicely for the year ahead. Also I’ve been meditating every morning this week for 10 minutes before the kid wakes up. Such a good way to start the day! x

January 26, 2015 at 12:10 pm (2 years ago)

Hi Kris – great to hear that another mum is getting meditation time in! I’ve been a bit slack in “finding” the time so far but I am determined…

4. Sonia Life Love Hiccups
    January 16, 2015 at 10:29 pm (2 years ago)

Mindful is an absolutely beautiful word to cary you through the year. I chose a word with a similiar theme – Now. xx

January 26, 2015 at 12:11 pm (2 years ago)

Hi Sonia – it sounds like we are in similar minds when it comes to our words for this year. Being present and “in the moment” is something I struggle with SOOOO much!!

5. Deb @ inner compass designs
    January 17, 2015 at 9:45 am (2 years ago)

Love your word and reasoning. Mine is trust. I have also been using susannah’s unravelling for years and look forward to it each time. Helps to get clear before diving into a new year and I love the ritual.

January 26, 2015 at 12:12 pm (2 years ago)

Hi Deb – She’s a clever, generous woman isn’t she?? I’ve been reading her blog for quite a while now – it was one of the very first blogs I ever came across and I have loved watching and seeing how she has transformed her online space.

6. Maxabella
    January 18, 2015 at 11:45 pm (2 years ago)

This is a grand word which I am sure will bring you good things this year. I chose ‘complete’ this year. I hope to get things done and be content in their doing. x

January 26, 2015 at 12:13 pm (2 years ago)

Ooh – I love that word Maxabella – it’s one that didn’t cross my mind in thinking about my word for the year but it really resonates with me too…