I love Christmas and I’m not ashamed to say it. I love the tree, I love the food, I love the drinks, I love the time off work, I love the weather (for those of us in the Southern Hemisphere!), I love the gifts, I love the decorations, I love the atmosphere. It’s all bloody fantastic in my eyes. Despite all this love of the merry season I don’t think of myself as an “over the top” kind of girl when it comes to Christmas – I just love to partake in a (semi) sensible and yet joyous and festive way!
Given that we are now only 24 sleeps away from the arrival of the big fat man in the red suit I thought it was a great time to share 5 of my tips for celebrating Christmas and holding on to the majority of your sanity!
1. Online Shopping Now I love hitting the shops as much as the next girl (maybe more!) but the reality is that with a 2 year old and 2 part time jobs with deadlines looming I just don’t have the time or energy to spend at shopping centres fighting crowds and parking lot rage. Some of my current go to places for excellent bargains and beautiful wares include: *
2. Christmas Music There’s nothing like some celebratory, festive tunes to get you in the mood for Christmas. Currently on repeat on my iPod are:
– Winter Moon – Mindy Gledhill (because sometimes I like to pretend I’m having a white Christmas!)
– Essential Carols – Choir of King’s College (because sometimes you just need the traditional)
– So Fresh, Songs for Christmas 2013 (because sometimes you just need to modern and tacky!)
3. Decorations and the more the merrier! I like to take on a bit of a colour/theme each year for my decorations. Not that this means I go out and buy all new things each year – I might just buy a couple of new pieces in my theme for this year and mix and match it with my collection. I was musing over a nice, gentle naturals theme for this year – but I made the mistake of taking Sweet Pea to the shops with me and she has clearly settled on pink! My favourite place for all things Christmas decorating are:
4. Lists, Lists and More Lists! Yep, I’m making my lists and I’m checking them (more than) twice. I’m a mega list maker at the best of times but the silly season puts me into over drive. A good ol’ piece of paper and pen will always do the trick but if you want to be slightly more organised and stylish (ok, anal…) then there are some great all-in-one list makers/planners from Kikki-K and Typo
5. Relax! Now I’m writing this last step in the hope that I will actually follow it! It doesn’t really matter how much effort and love you put into celebrating Christmas if you are too stressed out to actually chill out and enjoy it. I’m doing my best to be organised and ready but at the end of the day, at the risk of being cliched, it’s all about spending time with the people I love most (and drinking a few bubbles!). Happy Christmas planning everyone!
How about you? What are your top tips for getting ready for the silly season?
* This post is not in any way sponsored – just me sharing some of my likes