A co-worker flew out last Friday on a spontaneous trip to Canada to visit one of her best friends. In the lead up to her trip she was talking about how she was looking forward to Canada and seeing her friend but dreading the twenty four hour plane trip. That’s when I knew I was in a bad way. All I could think about as she was talking was that twenty four hours. Twenty four hours. On a plane. BY HERSELF!!! I wanted to buy those hours from her. Twenty four hours to just sit, and read or watch movies, or listen to music. Twenty four hours to day dream and watch the antics of the people around you. Twenty hours where other people brought you food and drinks and little pillows to prop up your weary head. Twenty four hours where someone else cleaned up your mess. Twenty four hours to sleep and drink- tea, or more likely – vodka!
Before you deliberate on my actual level of crazy – yes, I have been on a long haul flight before – several in fact. I know what it’s like to be crammed into a seat next to people with varying levels of personal hygiene and then have to climb over several pairs of legs and traverse narrow feet filled corridors just to do a pee. I know how bad cattle class is – and yet I am still yearning…
Yearning for Twenty four hours just for me – I would endure a cross the world flight just to get to me!!
And now all I can do is dream about what I would do with Twenty four hours all to myself. Things like:
– Read, read and then read some more. And not just snippets from magazines and websites – I would read one of those enticing books that seem to keep piling up beside my bed.
– Sleep. To be fair, now that Sweet Pea is two I do get some good solid sleep over night but I really miss my lazy sleep ins (just being able to sleep in until a time when my body clock says it is time to wake up and not when a two year old demands to watch Peppa Pig!) and afternoon naps on the lounge.
– Watch a movie, a whole movie, with no interruptions. A movie that does not contain a Disney character.
– Go to the toilet without the “mummy, mummy where are you” song being sung outside the door.
– Go shopping – without a list and without a time frame.
– Make myself lunch – a healthy, wholesome and filling lunch (instead of my usual left over peanut butter sandwich crusts).
– Go for a walk in the sun – without a pram
– Drink a cocktail, or two…
How about you? What would you do with an elusive twenty four hours all to yourself?