8 Things About Me

Fiji 2014 096

You may ( or may not) have noticed that I am yet to complete the “About Me” page for this blog. I know, I know, it’s THE most important page – especially for a newby blogger such as myself and it is needed so that readers can feel connected to the woman behind “A Wondering Life”. The truth is, I think I am struggling to feel connected to that woman at the moment – so writing a raw, honest, this is me in all my authenticity kind of spiel is a little hard right now. I really want to write it, but I think I’m afraid of getting it wrong. Crazy I know!

So, I thought I would write a few little bites about myself in the hope that you will feel you have gotten to know me just a little more, and maybe, in a round about way, it will help me wander along to my “About Me” page really soon…

1. I am a social worker by day. At the moment I am working in a community mental health service but in the past I have worked in a major hospital in an  Intensive Care Unit, a Brain Injury Service, The Department of Public Prosecutions, SIDS and Kids and Forensic Medicine. My passion is working with people in crisis. My job drains me and inspires me at the same time.

2. I have a few OCD-ish tendencies. I might wait until we know each other better to fill you in on all of them but one I will share now is my absolute need to finish all emails, cards and letters I send to friends and family with a kiss – never a hug. xoxox

3. I find motherhood a real challenge. I love my daughter to bits but by god, being a mum is a struggle for me a lot of the time.

4. I would like to create a new position (which I feel I would be qualified to fill) entitled “Supreme Decider of What Movie Ideas Should Get Funding”. I am honestly baffled by the amount of money spent on some movies that offer nothing of value when people in our world live in poverty. Independence Day you would have been on my hit list.

5. My favourite TV show of all time is “Friends”. I share a lot of the same qualities as the character Monica (maybe I should just copy her bio for my About Page??) and my best friend and I like to battle it out for who knows the most trivia about the show. I believe there is no situation in life for which a “Friends” quote is not suitable.

6. I love cemeteries. I love the sense of history, place and emotion they evoke and the stories they can tell.

7. If I could choose to have anyone’s job in the world it would be Richard Fidlers

8. I am turning 40 at the end of this year. A number that used to scare me, but now seems full of promise and opportunity.

Well, that wasn’t so hard I guess! How about you? I would love for you to share one thing about yourself in the comments so that I can get to know you better..

11 Comments on 8 Things About Me

1. Sandra Kelly
    August 29, 2014 at 9:41 pm (3 years ago)

The jobs you have had sound really interesting!
    One thing about me? I’m not know for my culinary delights! I hate cooking, HATE it! But we don’t starve 😉

August 30, 2014 at 11:21 am (3 years ago)

Oh Sandra – I am right there with you on the cooking! I do actually quite like baking (although I am totally shit at it) but as for cooking actual meals – I so wish I could afford a private chef…

2. Jane@Almost Jane
    August 29, 2014 at 9:57 pm (3 years ago)

I love reading these kind of posts and getting to know people better :) What amazing, yet I imagine challenging jobs you have had. I studied Youth Work, and have done some volunteer work, so I have had the briefest of experience working with people in crisis. For that to be your passion makes me think you must be a pretty special person.
    One thing about me; I have a {nearly} 4 year old daughter on the Spectrum; and I find motherhood to be the most challenging thing I’ve ever done. The lows are incredibly low, but it’s those highs are what makes it worth while 😉 xx

August 30, 2014 at 11:20 am (3 years ago)

Hi Jane – thank you so much for your comment – and for sharing something about yourself too. You make me realise I need to focus more on the highs and less on the lows. I have a darling nephew with Aspergers and he is about to start high school next year.

3. Jo
    August 30, 2014 at 8:33 am (3 years ago)

In our house it’s Seinfeld … we can come up with a Seinfeld quote to suit any given situation at any given time ;0)

August 30, 2014 at 11:18 am (3 years ago)

We might need to arrange a set of hypothetical situations to demonstrate our Friends and Seinfeld knowledge Jo!

4. Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
    August 30, 2014 at 8:36 am (3 years ago)

Awesome bits about you. My about me page isn’t super long and it gets revised every so often. I have some OCD tendencies too. Motherhood is a big challenge. My boys are teenagers now and while I am loving this stage, it brings different challenges than when they were littles. I love cemeteries too. I am getting closer to 50 and I keep thinking that I should feel different. But, I don’t. I’m not a grown-up. I’m a kid masquerading as an adult.

Thanks for sharing about yourself! It’s always nice to connect a bit with bloggers.

August 30, 2014 at 11:17 am (3 years ago)

I am actually longing for the teenage years some days Holly but then I know you are so right – that age will bring its own sort of challenges! I love your point about masquerading as an adult – that’s exactly how I feel most days!

5. emily@squiggleandswirl
    August 31, 2014 at 2:50 pm (3 years ago)

This post is probably better than an about me, I agree, about me pages are so tricky. I mean really, how can we sum ourselves up in a tidy neat little page? I can’t even remember what I wrote for mine now I’d better have a look again. Happy writing, I like your blog name and your post :)

6. Jane
    August 31, 2014 at 8:40 pm (3 years ago)

Love this post about you, especially the bit about being the supreme decider of what movie ideas get funding. Haha. I appreciate your honesty about how challenging parenthood is. I don’t think enough people acknowledge that. The About Me bit is challenging isn’t it? I love all the interesting details you’ve included in this post.

September 1, 2014 at 9:03 pm (3 years ago)

I’m so lucky I actually know you – because everything I know about you adds up to you being an amazing, beautiful, generous and thoughful person with some brilliant capabilities in thinking, listening, researching and communicating. I like this post, and its format, and I have to laugh at you confession of a OCDness……. dont we all have this?