I’ve Cancelled Sweet Pea’s Birthday

Pia June 2014 034

Ok, I haven’t cancelled her actual Birthday (even I don’t have that sort of power – but I am looking into acquiring it…) but I have cancelled the hoopla that is the Birthday Party. And it feels good. No, it feels GREAT!!

Sweet Pea is turning 2 this year and for weeks now I have been looking through Pinterest, blogs, shops, magazines etc… for ideas for the perfect party for my little girl. I had finally decided on a Peppa Pig party (because it is ALL about Peppa in this house at the moment) and had even ordered an invitation design from Etsy with a date and time confirmed. This party was happening everywhere expect in my heart.

Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE Birthdays – and everybody’s Birthdays not just my own. I love celebrating, I love presents, I love special drinks and food and I LOVE Birthday cake (oh boy do I love Birthday cake…). Sweet Pea had a big, beautiful party for her 1st Birthday last year filled with our dearest friends and family, presents, laughter, games, balloons and TWO cakes!! It was a lovely day and I don’t regret having it. But this year I am tired. Tired from working several part time jobs, tired from attempting to keep a house clean, tired from thinking of something to cook for dinner and then having to shop for aforementioned food and THEN cook the bloody thing too! Tired from running around after and entertaining a gorgeous, feisty and, at the moment, rather demanding almost two year old and generally tired from trying to be all things. Something had to give and I made a decision this week that it could be the Peppa Pig party.

So there will still be presents, and balloons and cake, and laughter and love and celebrating the fact that my little girl is now 2 but there won’t be a hoopla – and by god that feels freeing!!

Do you feel the pressure to go through the Birthday Hoopla? How do you celebrate Birthdays in a special, yet simple way?

15 Comments on I’ve Cancelled Sweet Pea’s Birthday

1. Adria J. Cimino
    July 18, 2014 at 5:34 pm (3 years ago)

As mom of an almost 4-year-old girl, I can really understand your situation! (And my daughter loves Peppa Pig too!) With my daughter, I was giving those earlier parties more for myself than for her. Only over the past six months or so she has started becoming more aware of the meaning of a birthday party and now she wants the hoopla! I still plan on keeping it rather simple with just five girls who are her closest friends — and doing a glorified sort of playdate. A friend who has an older child said that planning fancy activities etc. is useless at this age (she learned the hard way) as the only thing they really want to do is play. I’m sure that any way that you celebrate with your daughter will be a success because she will be with you.

July 18, 2014 at 8:29 pm (3 years ago)

So true Adria – I always said that her 1st Birthday was a celebration of our survival as parents more than anything else! I do enjoy a good hoopla now and then but I think my energy as a mum can be better spent right now. I hope your little girl enjoys her party this year with her special friends!

3. Malinda @mybrownpaperpackages
    July 18, 2014 at 9:02 pm (3 years ago)

My hoopla is just about to begin. I have one daughter turning 2 on Sunday, where I have opted for a family only event in the backyard. Then 2 weeks later the other turns 5 and there will be a day of celebrating on her special day plus daycare cake plus a party with all her friends and family. I am exhausted just thinking about it all. And in between the 2 I have my nephews birthday too. Oh my goodness, what am I doing on the Internet, I should be wrapping or baking or something …

July 20, 2014 at 9:42 pm (3 years ago)

Oh god Malinda – my head hurts just thinking about your hooplas!! I hope the first one went well today…

4. Jo @Countrylifeexperiment
    July 18, 2014 at 9:22 pm (3 years ago)

My eldest is 9 and has had one party. My 6 year old is having one next week for her 7th, and my son hasn’t had one. Don’t feel one little bit guilty. They aren’t lacking for anything, and I don’t need the hassle.

July 20, 2014 at 9:42 pm (3 years ago)

I like your advice Jo!

5. Sonia Life Love Hiccups
    July 18, 2014 at 11:07 pm (3 years ago)

And how good does it feel when you say stuff it and let it all go. I get so stressed out a bout parties. I love all the research and the prep, but then I never enjoy them on the day because I am so flipping knackered. Good on you hun – she will have the most amazing day with a mum that is not completely worn out from all the hoopla :) xx

July 20, 2014 at 9:43 pm (3 years ago)

I think I am a lot like you Sonia – love the prep work but when it comes to the actual “doing” I’d like to hire a body double!!

6. Sarah Mac
    July 18, 2014 at 11:34 pm (3 years ago)

You did the right thing, she doesn’t need the big party and to be honest, she wouldn’t even remember it after a few days. As they get older and start school it may be more important to them to have the big fuss and friends over but right now all she needs is her family around her knowing that she is clearly loved.

July 20, 2014 at 9:44 pm (3 years ago)

You’re so right Sarah – and I know this too, why does that guilt just seem to jump out and bite us on the ass for the most ridiculous things??!!

7. Vicki Lesage
    July 20, 2014 at 10:35 am (3 years ago)

I thought I wanted a big party with all the cute stuff I saw on Pinterest for my son’s first birthday but then my in-laws offered to throw the party and pay for everything and I figured I should let them. Now they’re offering to do the same for his second birthday, and they’ve also done a “meet and greet” right after my daughter was born. I’m a control freak and really would love to have cute photos with cute party-themed decorations in the background, but I realized those are unimportant reasons, compared to having an entire party planned, paid for, and taken care of for me! Plus it makes the in-laws happy. So I’m with you – anything you can do to make it easier is worth it! The kids don’t notice the difference anyway and in fact they’ll probably notice that you’re happy and not stressed, which is way more important.

July 20, 2014 at 9:45 pm (3 years ago)

If the in laws are willing to organise and pay I say let them!! Good on you Vicki!

8. Toni @ Finding Myself Young
    July 20, 2014 at 10:52 am (3 years ago)

I have a huge first birthday coming up in this house next week. I’ve organised a big birthday party, but given the cost and effort thats gone into it I’m not sure I’ll be doing it again next year.

July 20, 2014 at 9:45 pm (3 years ago)

That sounds like me last year Toni. I hope it all goes well and you can enjoy it.

9. Lucy
    July 20, 2014 at 10:15 pm (3 years ago)

We’ve definitely stood back from the hoopla over the years – 3 kids and they’ve had all kinds of variations to celebrate their birthday. Go with the flow, that’s what I say!