Reading Paris with Children

Paris in July 2014 001

Since the birth of my Sweet Pea almost two years ago a new dimension has been added to my Paris in July experience (not to mention a lot less time to read and blog, but that’s another post…). I have loved introducing her to books and reading but I have especially loved sharing my passion for travel and far flung places with her through our reading time together. And there are plenty of Paris based children’s books to keep us busy…

Sweet Pea’s absolute favourite (and mine) is Kiki and Coco in Paris, a gorgeous story about a young girl, Kiki and her beautiful rag doll, Coco and their simple, but glorious, trip to Paris. The story is sweet and the photos that accompany it are the real heart of the book – bright, colourful and expressive. Sweet Pea and I could read this one over and over (and we do!).

Paris in July 2014 002 Paris in July 2014 004 Paris in July 2014 005

Sweet Pea’s favourite page of the book below “puppy dog”!

Paris in July 2014 006 Paris in July 2014 007

Another book that I purchased before Sweet Pea was born is Pom Pom Where Are you? This book involves another delightful romp around Paris, this time by an adventurous little dog named Pom Pom. I really get caught up in Pom Pom’s escapades – the drawings throughout the book are fresh and sweet (and I love the little touch where Pom Pom’s owner is just out of sight of her puppy in each scene).

Paris in July 2014 008 Paris in July 2014 009 Paris in July 2014 011 Paris in July 2014 012

A classic that belongs in every Paris loving child’s book case is Madeline. I love this gorgeous little story, and the precocious and adorable Madeline herself. Sweet Pea isn’t quite on board with this one just yet though – I feel that compared to the other two books poor little Madeline doesn’t quite grab the attention of a toddler with an eye for gorgeous photos and colours! I will persist however (mainly because I just love reading this one!)

Paris in July 2014 013 Paris in July 2014 015

A book that was given to Sweet Pea as a Christmas present last year is waiting for her to get a little older (but that doesn’t mean I haven’t read it yet!). Ruby Red Shoes Goes to Paris is the story of a cute little rabbit who visits Paris with her grandmother. The unique aspect of this book is the quirky, sweet illustrations – it really is a treasure of a book.

Paris in July 2014 016

What about you? What are your favourite Paris based children’s books? I can always add more to Sweet Pea’s shelves!

19 Comments on Reading Paris with Children

1. Mardi (eat. live. travel. write.)
    July 17, 2014 at 1:43 am (3 years ago)

These are some GREAT books to read with kids about Paris. I’ll be sure to pass them on to friends of mine who often ask me for recommendations!

July 18, 2014 at 8:30 pm (3 years ago)

I hope they enjoy them too Mardi!

2. Adria J. Cimino
    July 17, 2014 at 2:16 am (3 years ago)

What beautiful books! And the stories seem interesting and creative. My little one is nearly four and loves to read so we will check these out. Merci!

July 18, 2014 at 8:30 pm (3 years ago)

I gave the Kikki and Coco book to both my nieces when they were about 4 Adria so I am sure she would love that one!

July 18, 2014 at 8:31 pm (3 years ago)

I think they are great for us grown ups too Marina!

July 17, 2014 at 9:36 am (3 years ago)

Gorgeous ilustrations. I love the look of Kiki – maybe little Sweet Pea can read it to me one day. Madeline is always a favourite of mine…. childrens books are not just for children, but when children love a book it stays with them (us) for ever. I love the way your introducing your SP to literature and travel.

July 18, 2014 at 8:31 pm (3 years ago)

Oh T you would love Kikki and Coco and I’m sure Ms P would love to share it with you!

July 18, 2014 at 8:32 pm (3 years ago)

Most welcome Sharon – it seems that Madeline has a special place in the reading hearts of many…

4. Vicki Lesage
    July 17, 2014 at 9:53 pm (3 years ago)

Madeline is one of my faves. I’ll have to check out the other ones!

July 18, 2014 at 8:32 pm (3 years ago)

Absolutely Vicki – although I am sure you are spoilt for choice in Paris!

6. Bellezza
    July 21, 2014 at 2:38 am (3 years ago)

What lovely books (which I hope to find for my classroom), and you took fabulous photos for us to get a glimpse inside. My favorite children’s book, and film, is old. I don’t even know if you can still get copies of The Red Balloon, but it would be worthy to by if you can find it.

7. Louise
    July 21, 2014 at 8:42 am (3 years ago)

There are so many gorgeous Paris books for kids. I haven’t seen Kiki and Coco before, it looks adorable.

8. Melinda
    July 21, 2014 at 10:14 pm (3 years ago)

Lovely books! Another children’s favorite is Linea in Monet’s Garden.

9. Brona
    July 22, 2014 at 9:28 pm (3 years ago)

Thanks for reminding me about Pom Pom.
    I’m also a fan of the Ruby Red Shoes books – I thought they were too twee to start with, but they’ve grown on me and I can’t wait for the next installment :-)

I’ve been reviewing some children’s picture books set in Paris too.

10. Deb Nance at Readerbuzz
    July 27, 2014 at 10:38 pm (3 years ago)

Oh I love to find children’s books about Paris. I must add the first two you’ve listed here; they are new to me.

Here are a couple more: No Dogs Allowed. This is Paris. Everybody Bonjours. Adele & Simon. The Inside-Outside Book of Paris. Paris in the Spring with Picasso. A Walk in Paris. Minette’s Feast. And a wonderful early chapter book, Dodsworth in Paris.

11. jeanie
    August 1, 2014 at 1:05 pm (3 years ago)

I can’t tell you how much I love this post. All of these look simply enchanting!

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Reading Paris with Children

1. […] loved sharing some of mine and my daughter’s favourite Paris based story books as well as posting an interview with author and Paris in July co-host, Adria about her writing […]