Me, Pip and a Cup of Tea

2014-05-04 10.42.28

I’ve been hanging out and getting to know the very generous Pip from Meet Me at Mikes over the past few weeks. Well, ok – I’ve been doing her fabulous blogging course, Blog with Pip – but I have felt like I’ve been hanging out with her! I’ve done a few blogging courses in my time but as I had self dedicated this year as “Year of the Blog” I had been seeking out some really practical, hands on, affordable, friendly tuition and I certainly found it in Blog with Pip. As a final send off for the latest group of students we have been asked to write a post telling out readers a little about us, a Cup of tea and a chat post. Now I love tea, some might say I am a little obsessed by it (I will only drink certain kinds and it has to be made JUST right! And I’m not even British!) but as it turns out, I don’t think I really like talking about myself! Which I realise is a little bit of a problem when I want to write a personal blog! You might have noticed that my “About Me” page is glaringly empty – I’ve been trying to write this section of my blog for the longest time now, I know it is important – I realise it is vital if I want to connect in the blogging world – but do you think I can write the bloody thing?? Nope!! So, I am going to attempt to share just 5 things about me here, 5 things that I like and enjoy, 5 things that bring me joy, 5 things that I can’t live without, in the hope that you will feel like you know me a little better, and also in the hope that it will spark me to write and share even more!

One – Time to myself

I love being by myself, just me, myself and I. I once lived with a person who couldn’t stand to be by herself – needless to say that housing situation didn’t last long! I love having time to think, to ponder, to wonder, to worry, to dream, to read, to sing, to dance, to drink endless cups of tea – even to clean! I’m not ashamed to say that I love my own company! It is one of the things I have had to compromise greatly since becoming a parent and it is one of my hardest struggles when it comes to surrendering to being a mum.

Two – The Written Word

You can see from this earlier post how much I love reading and books. I still remember the first book I learnt to read by myself (“Tales of Toy Land” by Enid Blyton”) and how I was hooked from that moment on. My dream job has always been to work in a book shop surrounded by pages and stories all day long. Not sure I would get much work done…

Three – Travel

I have always wanted to travel the world. I grew up in a small country town, over 700 kms away from the nearest capital city which to me was where “everything” happened! I am slowly but surely heading to the places I really want to visit and experience – hear and far. I love being in an airport with my passport in my bag thinking “I could go ANYWHERE!” – that thought always gives me tingles. The next big trip planned is to Italy and the UK with my partner and Sweet Pea to celebrate my 40th Birthday next year but before that there is a long awaited trip to Perth to visit my best friend in only 2 weeks time and hopefully a trip to Melbourne (one of my favourite places in the world) later in the year.

Four – Stationery

OK, I know this one isn’t quite as deep and meaningful as the first three but I need to be honest – I love notebooks and pens and paper and folders and diaries and other paper products that generally clutter my desk and my handbag! Kikki-K is my mecca! Please tell me there are other people out there who buy a new notebook or pretty pen to cheer themselves up on a blue day?? Please??

Five – My Family

Predictable and schmaltzy as it is I do love my darling little family of my partner and my almost two year old Sweet Pea. They are a pretty cool duo and the three of us together are a winning (if slightly crazy!) team.

So there you go – turns out I can write a little bit about myself! I would love to hear something about you too – what is one thing about you that you would like to share with me? Please share more if you like!

18 Comments on Me, Pip and a Cup of Tea

1. Annette
    June 28, 2014 at 10:58 pm (3 years ago)

Stationery to cheer myself up? Check.
    Enid Blyton as a child (and still). Check
    Time to myself. Check. Check. Check.
    Yes please! And our blog tag lines both include wondering & wandering.
    Why aren’t we besties??
    Lovely post. Definitely know you better. Bookmarking now.

Annette

June 30, 2014 at 8:51 pm (3 years ago)

Hi Annette – it does indeed sound like we would make perfect besties! Although we might end up fighting over the last pretty notebook and copy of Enid Blyton! Thank you so much for reading and commenting.

2. Jo Rich
    June 28, 2014 at 11:22 pm (3 years ago)

I LOVE new notebooks! Every time I see a lovely one I have to fight an overwhelming desire to buy it. I really don’t need more….but oh, it’s just so gorgeous!!!!
    Beautifully written, thanks for the insight.

June 30, 2014 at 8:52 pm (3 years ago)

Oh god Jo I know!! My study, bedroom, kitchen etc… are all overflowing with new, pretty and very much needed notebooks!!

June 30, 2014 at 11:30 am (3 years ago)

Love Tea too! Time to myself is pretty special also. Travel – definitely! Stationary and Books – well, they offer something nice, but I think Wine, Cheese and Chocolate come in before books…. Thanks for sharing a little more of yourself here – You’re a pretty special girl – it’s nice when you let some of us see it here. The new blog is lovely to visit.

June 30, 2014 at 8:52 pm (3 years ago)

Hi T – I think wine, cheese and chocolate deserve a post all to themselves!

4. Heike Herrling
    June 30, 2014 at 4:29 pm (3 years ago)

What a great list of things to inspire and nurture the soul!
    I too love travel and Enid Blyton. xx

June 30, 2014 at 8:53 pm (3 years ago)

It sounds like there are quite a few of us Heike! Your favourite place to travel??

5. Betty-Rose
    June 30, 2014 at 7:21 pm (3 years ago)

I agree that you cannot have enough notebooks and miscellaneous paper treats including writing implements that complement any situation!

June 30, 2014 at 8:53 pm (3 years ago)

We are birds of a feather Betty-Rose! I’m feeling so validated by everyone’s comments – thank you!!

6. Jenny Jones
    June 30, 2014 at 10:41 pm (3 years ago)

Great to get to know you better. I share your love of stationery and i am forever searching for the perfect pen! Time to oneself is so important too

July 4, 2014 at 12:37 pm (3 years ago)

Have you found that perfect pen yet Jenny??? I think I am still searching…

7. Naomi Bulger
    July 1, 2014 at 8:05 am (3 years ago)

Oh my goodness, we love ALL the same things! Make sure you get in touch when you come to Melbourne! xo

July 4, 2014 at 12:37 pm (3 years ago)

Oh Naomi that would be wonderful to catch up! Will let you know if we end up making the trip this year (fingers crossed!)

9. Jo from Blondie By the Sea
    July 4, 2014 at 9:34 pm (3 years ago)

A girl after my own heart. I love stationary. I have found it hard not having “alone time” since becoming a mum. I call my almost 3 year old sweet pea. I love books, but with 2 kiddos and trying to keep up with blogging it’s been some what neglected. Jo xx

July 5, 2014 at 8:31 am (3 years ago)

Oh Jo – sounds like we could be twins!! I’m actually really heartened by how many of us are feeling so many of the same things – it does reduce that sense of isolation in some way doesn’t it?

10. Maxabella
    July 6, 2014 at 9:25 pm (3 years ago)

We have such a lot in common! Especially needing time to myself, travel, family, stationery… Well, the lot! Especially loving that darling Pip. Nice to meet you!

July 7, 2014 at 9:40 am (3 years ago)

Thanks so much for dropping by – your beautiful blog is one of the ones I read regularly – and one of the blogs that helped me greatly when I was new to this whole mothering thing!